Saturday, September 16, 2006

Some more favorites

I dug into my closet and found one of the earliest books I received as a present from my Grandma. It's entitled: The Happy Twins by Helen Wing it was published in MCMLXVI is that 1966 or 1956? Anyways its a Rand McNally book, I think what's called an elf-book. I did an internet search and came up with the following: The other book I was thinking about I believe is called Johnny and the Birds by Ian Munn and Marjorie Cooper, illustrated by Elizabeth Webbe. This is another Rand McNally elf book published in 1950.

Some of my other books I enjoyed reading were what the Walt Disney movies were based on. The ones I have read are:

Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter {movie: Pollyanna}
The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford movie {The Incredible Journey, original version}
Thomasina by Paul Gallico {movie: The Three Lives of Thomasina}
Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers {movie: Mary Poppins}

Now the movie The Parent Trap was based on a book,(according to The Disney Films by Leonard Maltin; 3rd edition), entitled Das Doppelte Lottchen by Erich Kastner, English title: Lisa and Lottie

Also during college I came across a neat book during a Children's Literature class entitled Nothing Ever Happens on My Block by Ellen Raskin. It looked familiar, I must have read it sometime earlier as a child. What's neat about it is that there is a whole story happening behind the main character in the illustrations while (I can't remember if its a boy or girl), bemoaning the fact that nothing ever happens. It's a neat illustration that when we look beyond the end of our noses there's so much going on. Its the detail in the pictures that make the book.

Also looking for two or three books that I had to read in jr. high and high school...I think one's called Mama's Bank Account and the other might be My Antionette . Both are about immigrants, but I'm not sure if the titles are matching the particular stories that I'm remembering...I'll have to check back.

More to follow....feel free to read and comment on the two posts below on my favorite books and favorite Bible passages.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

Hi there! Wow you do like to read! and I htought I loved books...but I'm more particular...I mostly read historical fiction...that's about it...lol
Anyway.. I don't think I can re create the comments I left before but I do remember it had to do with friends and being a ministers wife...I read your comments on Vickis site...
I jsut know that it has aways been very important to me, and the Lored ahs provided me at least one Christian friend OUTSIDE of my own church...the place where my hubby is ministering at the time. Since moving to Atlanta, blogging has saved my life also. I think you'll find a lot of good friends out here in blogland...not th esit downa nd have coffe with kind but good none the less. Let me know if I can help...I got years of expereince! :)

Saturday, September 16, 2006 8:09:00 PM  
Blogger Constance said...

I was wondering if the book you were thinking of was "My Antonia" by Willa Cather? Having lived in Nebraska for 4 years because of my hubby's job with the BNSF RR, I read some of her works and your mention, struck a familiar chord.
Connie

Monday, September 18, 2006 8:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am currently reading "Christy" by Catherine Marshall. It was published in 1970 and has sold over 10,000,000 copies. One book I have on request from the library is "The Friendly Persuasion" by Jessamyn West. It is the story of a Quaker girl.

I have a reading list of older books that I read many years ago and want to reread. "Christy" is one of them. It takes place in 1912, and Christy leaves Asheville NC to teach at a Mission School in the Great Smoky Mountains.

Monday, September 25, 2006 4:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home