Monday, September 18, 2006

What the soup kitchen did to me

There are some who are participating in a 30 day of Nothing during this month. I applaud those who are trying to bring awareness of the world's needs to themselves and to their families. I discovered that too late to begin on Sept. 1. However, after my experiences today, I want to begin for me, a lifetime of Nothing. I want to permanently decrease my 'extra' spending, extra extravagances, etc. For its not just the 'world' that suffers....its people down the street, and up around the corner.

Today I went to help out in what some call a soup kitchen. I had a good breakfast, and when we arrived at nearly 10 am, my stomach was still content. I donned a plastic apron, and server's hat and gloves and began to finish preparing the food. I then wrap plastic forks in napkins ready for those who would come thru the door.

Just before 11 am we get several trays ready with food. The door is open. Grace is said, and we begin to serve. All kinds of people, young, old, middle age, all kinds of backgrounds come thru the door. All with hungry stomachs. Some with many layers of clothes on their backs, even on this very warm day. We serve a little over 150 in about 2 hours time. At one point I am told that I could go eat. I had brought a lunch, (since this was my first time, and not knowing the policy) but I'm told that we can eat what we serve. I decide to go ahead and eat the food. I take a tray and am told that I can eat on a table out of the way here in the kitchen. I ask if I can eat out there in the main room, with the others. One man in line heard me asking, and said something like, "You wanta eat and talk with us?". I said, "sure I'd talk with you." I'm given permission to eat out there, and open the door and go out among the others to eat. I really had a strange sense that Jesus would have done that....eat with those who were being served. I feel suddenly that this meal that I'm sharing with them was one of the best meals that I ever had....not due to its fanciness, or richness, (the bread was stale, and had a day or two old donut. But the tuna salad was fresh, and I don't usually like pickled beets..but I eat them anyways, even the tuna salad and the beets :)..... )
But I had a strange sense that this meal, in this place with these folks was actually a banquet.

In reality for many of them it was a banquet, their only meal of the day. For the mother with the child (the only child I saw today) who had just come from the dr's, and was declared to have an ear infection, it was a respite. For the struggling ladies who have kept different bed company, this was a place to get some energy before they returned to the streets. For the runaway girl, who has seen too many nights away from the house she once knew, this too was a haven. For those who were high on things that did their body harm, they barely managed to get thru the line. For others who had gray hair in their whiskers and atop their head, it was a place to rest their weary bones and get some strength. It was a banquet, with an unseen Guest!

I pray that for each person who came thru the line, for the gentleman who shared my table, for those who muttered pleasantries, for all those that we helped...I pray tonight the Saviour would surround them with angels. That they would be drawn to a saving knowledge, where someday thru accepting Jesus as their Saviour that they too can look forward to a Heavenly Banquet, where I'd see them again, for eternity......would you join with me in praying for these folks.

Today has changed my life....I left that warm kitchen in the city and gladly welcomed the air conditioned vehicle that I rode home in. But those folks had to be greeted with the heat, and the harshness of their lives, while I rode home comfortably to my own home, own bed, own family, own pantry of food, and own bathroom.....tonight I have much to be thankful for....and many more lessons to learn from these folks.

p.s. I left my packed, untouched lunch to be given away.

{copyright 2006, ampraisingHim, all rights reserved}

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good thoughts...praise the Lord!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 12:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You encapuslated it--everyday is a sacred gift...that asks our gratitude.
Joining with you on a lifetime of less...
Warmly,
Ann V.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 8:27:00 AM  
Blogger Miriam Pauline said...

What a lovely post! Thank you for sharing.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 8:51:00 AM  
Blogger Amydeanne said...

Sounds like a great experience.
And I too, would like to do the 30 days w/o nothing.. just not sure how to start!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 10:07:00 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

Thank you for sharing that with us! Through you being touched, we have also been touched!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 10:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

loved the last line.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 4:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely, lovely post - thanks for this...

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 7:15:00 PM  
Blogger Destination...Gloryland! said...

Thank you for sharing about this life-changing experience. To see others through the eyes of Jesus...

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 2:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home