Wednesday, December 13, 2006

What the birds taught me

I have been having a very, very, rough past few days. Not only has there been sickness in my house, but my husband, who is a pastor is facing the toughest battle he's ever faced with a church since he began in ministry. It's rough.....very rough.....I have to go find Sissy's post about the Ballast in the midst of the storm. (click here)

The Lord throughout my life has used special things to encourage me....this time just a couple weeks ago he used birds. I'm only now realizing the full meaning of the event.

It was a rainy Friday a couple of weeks ago. Where I live the birds have already begun their flight south for the winter. Now I admit I'm not a bird watcher or even a bird expert, but as the event unfolded, I sensed in my spirit it was from God. As I was growing up and facing hard times, I would look for a red cardinal, for encouragement. In my childish mind, it became a symbol of God's presence. At the deepest, darkest, loneliest times in my life, God would allow me to see a red cardinal. Then a blue jay would become a symbol of God's promises, to me. Each time I saw a blue jay I would be reminded of God's faithfulness to keeping His promises.

That Friday,a couple of weeks ago, a weather front was coming through. We were on the edge of a thunderstorm cell. The rain became heavy, and the wind picked up. As I was eating lunch, I heard a noise. I moved the curtains and looked out the window. There in the tree right outside my kitchen window was a blue jay, then two, then three, then four then FIVE blue jays, finding shelter from the rain in the tree that had nearly lost all its leaves. I had never seen FIVE blue jays all at once. Remembering my symbolism of the bird, I thought to myself, "the Lord must really be trying to say something to me, to send 5 blue jays!!" Then a red cardinal appeared, then another, and its mate, and I thought I glimpsed a third red cardinal. WOW!! I was in total amazement. I turned and adjusted my seat to watch the drama outside. I was convinced that this rare event all these birds in one tree, outside my own window was truly from the Lord.
Eventually as the rain cleared they flew away, and I finished my lunch.
I later picked up my "Jesus Person Pocket Promise Book" a Bible promise book. I began to read promise after promise from the Bible.
As the days went by and especially today as the 'war' at church seems to be heating up....I'm reminded of truly God's faithfulness to His promises in the midst of storms, and His presence alongside of us, despite the problems.

God used those birds to teach and prepare me for this storm in my life.

8 Comments:

Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

That was really encouraging to read. What a wonderful sign God has especially for you. My husband feels his 'personal' sign is rainbows. I'm not sure I've thought about it that much. thanks for sharing.
How unfortunate that a battle is brewing in your church during this special season when we prepare for the coming of the baby Jesus.
Heidi

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 9:52:00 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

That was so awesome to read. I know God sent those birds to personally encourage you. That's just like God to do something so special for you in your particular circumstance. And every promise of His is true (but I know you know that:-). Hang on. Sending warmest Christmas blessings and hugs {{Hugs}}

love,
V.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 11:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thinking of you and your husband today and lifting you up in prayer.

Thursday, December 14, 2006 9:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I followed you from vicki...and am blessed....

Thursday, December 14, 2006 10:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! What a special gift of encouragement from the Lord! May He grant you strength to stand on God's Truth through the storm and be the helpmeet to your husband that he needs during this time.

Thursday, December 14, 2006 12:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May God's will be done -and may you see His light and hear His guiding words as you battle ...in love!

Friday, December 15, 2006 2:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - thank you for sharing your thoughts. I really needed to read that today.

What is the book you are talking about. I have never heard about it. Is is a special Bible?

I will be praying for your husband's situation at church -- and you as well...

Saturday, December 16, 2006 1:14:00 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Pausing to pray for those in your husband's flock... that each would lay aside pride and the need to be right, and instead take up the challenge of loving in radical measure.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 8:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home