Thursday, September 21, 2006

Kitchen adventures

Yesterday, my husband informs me that he wants to invite the associate pastor to dinner probably Friday evening, because his wife has been out of town for several days. He said that he wanted me to make my chicken pot pie recipe, homemade bread (I use a breadmachine), etc. So it was off to the store, to get the necessary ingredients. While there I realized that they were having a sale on the basic baking need supplies. Since we moved, I knew it would be a good time to 'restock' the pantry.

I was in the canned goods aisle when I saw a can of stewed tomatoes. I remembered a meal that my mom used to cook a lot, we originally discovered it in a 4-H learn to cook, cookbook. I knew that I no longer had the recipe, so I tried to remember all the ingredients. When I came home I did a search thru the cookbooks that I have, and even an internet search. WOOOHOOOO, I found something very similar. (The original recipe from childhood included adding corn, but my husband doesn't like that idea.) And I made it last night!!
Here's the link to it:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1627,159185-236203,00.html

But as I went along I doctored it up:

I replaced the chilli powder with 1 teaspoon italian seasoning. We don't do the chili thing...but Italian seasoning was more acceptable. Instead of the tomato soup or tomato paste I substituted one can (14 1/2 oz) of stewed tomatoes. My can was the no salt added variety, with onions, celery, and peppers, by Delmonte. I cut the tomatoes up into smaller pieces, so my son would like it better. I cut the salt down to 1 teaspoon. I increased the macaroni to about 1 1/4 c.. When I added the stewed tomatoes, it did not look right, so I ended up adding also 1 can of tomato paste. It did turn out very well. I served it with cornbread. I also made some more macaroni as a plain side. I also served it with a vegetable, and a salad. My family loved it...so I'm doing it again. Here's my doctored up recipe:


BEEF MACARONI SKILLET DINNER

1 lb. ground beef ( I used 90% lean)
1 - 1 1/4 c. uncooked macaroni
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 1/2 c. hot water ( I had boiled water in a kettle and put it aside)
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste or 1 can tomato soup
1 (14 1/2 oz) can stewed tomatoes no salt added (contained onions,
celery, and peppers also..cut the tomatoes into smaller pieces)
1/4 c. water

Brown ground beef; pour off drippings. Add macaroni, onion, salt, Italian seasoning, sugar, and pepper. Stir in 2 1/2 cups hot water; cover and cook 10 minutes. Combine tomato paste or tomato soup and 1/4 cup water. Also add stewed tomatoes. Add to meat mixture and continue to cook another 10 minutes.


NOW....does anyone have any ideas on how to make cornbread? I bought cornmeal yesterday, and used the recipe on the side of the can, but it could be a little more moist...it was too dry....any ideas, or favorite recipes that you use to make good moist cornbread?

ALSO....I'm adding to my recipe collection. My son loved the above meal, and he's been known to be very picky when it comes to main entrees. He has no problem with vegetables...but give him a casserole, or something similar, and he'll probably turn his nose. Last night, he gave a good thumbs up.....now I'm on the hunt for more one dish dinners, or crock pot entrees. We used to do some crockpot recipes, but he got too picky....now I want to do them again. I'd be open to any suggestions. Thank you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Constance said...

I have a really easy recipe that I got from the Dallas Morning Newspaper. It's an enchilada casserole and it has 2 versions.

EASY ENCHILADA CASSEROLE

1 box of frozen beef-style taquitos

2 cans "red sauce" (found in the Mexican aisle by the taco preparation stuff)

8 oz shredded cheddar or other blend)

The other version uses chicken taquitos wrapped in flour tortillas rather than the beef-style which is wrapped in corn tortillas. Instead of the red sauce I make a sauce out of 1 pd velveeta, cubed, and a can of ro-tel (throw it in the microwave until the cheese melts and it stirs together nicely).

Spray a 9x13" pan with no-stick spray, line taquitos in the pan, cover with the sauce and then sprinkle the cheese over the top. Bake uncovered 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Super easy and this recipe can be halved and baked in an 8" square pan.

Friday, September 22, 2006 6:55:00 AM  
Blogger ampraisingHim said...

this is a test for the comments...to make sure its working

Friday, September 22, 2006 9:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home